Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Last night, Karen and I went to see "My Sister's Keeper," the story about Kate, a young girl with leukemia ,whose sister was conceived to help save Kate's life.

OK, maybe going to see this movie wasn't such a good idea. Not that it was my idea, anyway. Let's just say that it's not the kind of movie you want to see if you've just been diagnosed with cancer and are about to begin chemotherapy. Within the first couple scenes, and in others later, we watched as Kate got violently sick and threw up blood. There was no hiding from the realities of having cancer and the effects of treatment. The young girl's bald head and lack of eyebrows were an all too vivid reminder of what was to come for Karen. It was a difficult movie to watch, but we stuck it out 'til the end. Yet, it definitely added to the anxiety and fears Karen is experiencing.

It was a good movie with great performances by Abigail Breslin and Sofia Vassilieva. But I'm not sure it will win audiences given its difficult subject and graphic scenes of a young girl battling cancer.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of your wife. One of my best friend's mothers (named Karen :) became violently ill with t-cell lymphoma in early December 2008. Cancer is such a difficult battle to fight, but I'm sure that she will push through with poise. Good luck, and fight to the finish!
    Regards,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that book.
    I have also got triple negative breast cancer, and like Karen, had to go back for a second surgery for those "clear margins" which involved taking some muscle. (Bloody sore!). But my tumour was in excess of 8cm, so for me the second surgery was total mastectomy.
    I am waiting for my first oncology appt in just over 2 weeks time, which is why I am reading your blog really, looking for clues as to what to expect......
    What is prompting me to post though is just to say: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, GOING TO SEE THAT MOVIE AT THAT TIME?!?!? :o

    ReplyDelete