Monday, August 10, 2009

Can duct tape fix cancer?

My idea of doing repairs around the house is using duct tape to hold together whatever is broken or loose. In fact, for Father's Day, Karen and Jack bought me a wooden sign that reads, "Mr. Fix-It. Dad can fix anything with duct tape." And if duct tape doesn't work, well, I simply ignore it.

The fact is, I shouldn't even own a toolbox. But I do... and it's full of a mess of wrenches, drill bits, pliers, nuts, bolts and screwdrivers which I don't use, not to mention dozens of other tools for which I have no idea their purpose. But a guy needs a toolbox.

When Karen announced that her brother, Dave, and sister, Anne, from Minnesota would be visiting in a show of support, I didn't realize that I was getting Bob Villa from This Old House for a week. Karen, knowing my lack of handyman talent, had actually warned Dave in advance that she had a "honey-do" list that had long been ignored by her "honey-don't." He came prepared with his own work gloves and work boots. This guy from Minnesota is serious. You betcha.

When he arrived, I sheepishly showed Dave my toolbox and quickly departed for a short business trip to Long Island, comfortable that Karen would be in good hands and that he would be busy with an ambitious project list. And by the end of the week, Bob, er, Dave, had:
  • silenced the pipes that rattled whenever we shut off a faucet (who would have thought that a simple 10 cent bracket could fix that so easily...jeez!)
  • fixed the pantry door handle that would fall out whenever we pulled on it (had been this way for, let's see, six months or more).
  • trimmed the dead tree branches, filling 17 garbage bags in the process,
  • unclogged the basement drain pipe so the two dehumidifiers -- that run around the clock to stop mold from growing on our basement walls -- had somewhere to drain (hmm...does mold cause cancer?),
  • replaced two porch light fixtures (whoa!... electrical work is way outside my comfort zone),
  • dug out and replaced a lamp post and fixture (taught Jack how to mix concrete),
  • cleaned out my tool box (I still don't know what's in there),
  • called the exterminator who rid us of cicada killers, don't ask, (to the tune of $353) and, oh by the way, found termites in the process (to the tune of $1100)...gee, thanks Dave!
I must say that I was impressed and glad to have someone who knows how to change a light fixture without getting electrocuted in the process (I didn't realize that you need to switch off the circuit breaker first...boy, that would have been sad).

So, we had a great week. Karen is overjoyed with her new porch lights (it's the little things in life that really matter). As for me, for now, I can leave the duct tape for the soles of my feet (seriously, I tape the dry, cracked, bleeding soles of my feet...the duct tape works wonders).

Oh...Anne! Not to be forgotten. For she brought her energy, cooking talents and high school prep tutoring to our family last week. We enjoyed her rich and creamy risotto, wonderful sweet potatoes and special cocktails. Thankfully, she also helped kick start Jack's summer homework assignments, motivating him to get moving on long overdue school work.

In the end, it wasn't the risotto or the porch lights that mattered the most. Simply having family here to visit (Karen's stepfather, Phil, also made a week long visit in July), is what sustains all of us during this difficult battle. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I came across your blog through a newsletter from the PA Breat Cancer Coalition. I found it quite interesting to hear of breast cancer from a husbands prospective because women don't suffer alone.
    I provide breast cancer awareness education to women (and men) in Philadelphia and stress the importance of getting mammograms and taking care of their breast, so i'm always searching for something else to read or learn of in regards to breast cancer. I look forward to reading about you guys and learning from you.
    Stay positive and continue to allow your family and friends to support you. It makes such a huge difference in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    It sounds like Karen had a relaxing time with her brother and sister. I am praying for Karen, you and Jack. I would liek to know if your brother-in-law would mind coming to Pennington for a visit...with his gloves and tools!Love the letter from Lance.
    God Bless

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so brave and the world is happy for you! its so wonderful that some people like you are fighting and not giving up! God bless you! Share more posts! We'd love to read them.

    bio-energizing zapper parasite zapper bio-zapper

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Dick Wyatt BSc Hons. Ost., and I'm a cranial osteopath in the UK.

    I have taught myself to destroy cancer - cells, tumours, metastatics, the whole business. After fixing that, I deal with the reason for the cancer being there in the first place - which is my core business, but something the orthodox medics usually can't do.

    I've successfully treated metastatic prostate, breast and bone cancers, bronchial carcinomas, sphygmo-rectal and various un-named cancers. These are simply the types that have come to my practice - usually for a more obvious osteopathically-related problem, although this is gradually changing.

    Everyone I've treated is cancer-free so far as I, they and the medical side can establish.

    I won't go into any more description here, but I seem to be able to help all types of Ca. Unfortunately, my profession forbids me to generally advertise (a grossly mistaken, but nevertheless understandable policy). Therefore, I use opportunities such as this site to publicize my services.

    Please call UK 01462-634115 or email dickwyatt@tiscali.co.uk for details.

    Wishing you all the very best
    Dick Wyatt

    ReplyDelete